Sunday 24 February 2013

Working on Scorpion II

I spent yesterday re-acquainting myself with the first 60-odd pages of Lying with Scorpions, the sequel to Scorpion. Before that, I discussed the plot with my partner, who's incredibly helpful in one way: we strongly disagree on some points, but his opposition helps me carve out and crystallise what I want in the book. He's the anti-foil, the anti-sounding board. I understand other authors have partners who are better at positive plotting, actually suggesting things that fit and solve problems, but I'm not moaning about mine. It does help, and he puts a great deal of thought and common sense into what he suggests, so it's all good, even if very few things he says actually make it into the book.

One of the things I worried about is how to complete Kendras's growth. He's still terribly dependent on his lover/future king, and that does seem like a violation of the Scorpion codex. I have a lot of thoughts about how to spin this, but essentially, it doesn't feel much like a romance at this point. The core relationship will get taxed and stressed to the max, and I see a "dark moment" that's really quite terribly dark. Above all, it's a coming-of-age story of Kendras, who takes the mantle of "officer" and everything else has to be subsumed under it. Not that I don't already know who his successor will be--if it comes to that.

Damn, I do like that world. I could tell you of the Jaishani ambassador or General Graukar, or a mysterious brigand called "Death", but I should really do that on the page. Essentially, I have so much plot that I might end up with two sequels. If that is the case, the point where I saw this book ending makes perfect sense. As my dude pointed out, the ending of the second part in a trilogy is the darkest point, vid The Empire Strikes Back: An unprepared Luke Skywalker challenges Darth Vader and gets his ass handed to him.

In this particular book, I'm examining the nature of empire building versus leadership. Considering I worked academically on Charlemagne and how he screwed over the Bavarians and the Lombards, I have some specific ideas on how that works, which may or may not colour my perception of "Empire". So, yeah. Lying with Scorpions is actually dark. I don't think I'll be quite as pitiless as George RR Martin to my characters, but it certainly doesn't look like an easy ride. I'm hoping it'll be an interesting ride.

5 comments:

  1. It is within darkness that we find the courage to grow. Not sure if I heard/read that some where or if I plucked it from my own thoughts. Either way it has always rung true for me. I tend to connect more fully with characters in their dark moments/struggles than when they are surrounded by the light.

    Kassandra

    ReplyDelete
  2. When you tweeted about Scorpion2 I was thinking that Kendras needed to grow and change quite a bit. In Scorpion1 so much of his action was reactive. The Officer has to be the fulcrum. The Scorpions deliver their strength and power through him. The Officer is the place they stand in order to move the earth and he isn't that yet and if he wants to be Adrastes partner in truth then he needs to be Aral Vorkosigan FTW

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love dark fantasy. Scorpion 2 sounds amazing. I'm looking forward to it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wasn't sure where else to post this, but I just wanted to say, I am IN LOVE with the "Special Forces" series. I went into it hoping for some hot m/m action and found so much more. I generally avoid military stories, but I stayed up all night reading the first story back when I first stumbled across it, and have since read the entire trilogy 3 times over. (I'm about to read it again for the fourth time.)

    Your story is just one of those that once you start reading, you can't stop, and it is amazing and fascinating, and raw and brutal and Real. Each character is so perfectly portrayed, from the ever present main characters to those who are only mentioned in passing. It is mindboggling to me that you wrote it all in the space of 2? years, and your passion for the tale these characters tell really shines through.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wasn't sure where else to post this, but I just wanted to say, I am IN LOVE with the "Special Forces" series. I went into it hoping for some hot m/m action and found so much more. I generally avoid military stories, but I stayed up all night reading the first story back when I first stumbled across it, and have since read the entire trilogy 3 times over. (I'm about to read it again for the fourth time.)

    Your story is just one of those that once you start reading, you can't stop, and it is amazing and fascinating, and raw and brutal and Real. Each character is so perfectly portrayed, from the ever present main characters to those who are only mentioned in passing. It is mindboggling to me that you wrote it all in the space of 2? years, and your passion for the tale these characters tell really shines through.

    ReplyDelete