Saturday 29 January 2011

Egypt

I followed the Iranian uprisings with hope and trepidation. Now, I've been remiss in my news watching. Getting out of journalism meant no m,ore constant monitoring of a million news sources. I went on a diet, lived in my little bubble, de-stressed from the world.

But what's going on in Egypt is incredibly beautiful. It's not a country I understand (I can tell you more about the pharaohs than Mubarak), not one I have ties to, but if I were the praying type, I'd be praying for the Egyptians, who are out on the street, fighting for their rights right now, protecting their nation, their neighborhoods, their museums. I'm not sure I've seen anything as beautiful as the human chain around the National Museum for years.

And this? "We will have our rights, one way or the other - and we will not be silenced!"



More as it develops here on Al-Jazeera.

I do hope the western world does what it can to help free the Egyptians from their military dictatorship. The moral right is very very clearly with the people. 

2 comments:

  1. I'm following the news on this as much as I can and I'm with you, it's gripping and moving, and I hope they will succeed and not suffer even more casualties.

    On the other hand the whole events now taking place in the region demonstrate so blatantly the immorality and hypocrisy of international politics. Upholding democracy and freedom as benchmark on the one hand and then supporting/installing dictators to ensure safety for their own people on the other. Our (perceived) safety at the expense of other people's. It's disgusting and disheartening.

    Let's see what happens when/if the geo-strategic activities kick in, especially in regards to Israel.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lilli - and now Moroccco, too. It's amazing what's going on in the Arab world. I do think a lot of old fat white men are scrambling at the moment.

    ReplyDelete